Monday, January 2, 2012

My Kind of Carbonara

Having just got back from Italy, I still crave the delicious food there and want to be able to make some on my own. On of my favourite pasta sauces is the incredibly UNHEALTHY but DELICIOUS carbonara. I love the rich creaminess and the bacon... oh the bacon!! ;) So since I have some of that deliciousness in my freezer and I know how to make a simple cream sauce I went ahead and made it with some little twists.

You will need:

bacon (mine is frozen so it's easy to chop and you don't need to measure, just as much as you think you'd like... I guess I had about a handful of chopped bacon - enough for 2 people)
a pat of butter
about 1 1/2 cups of milk
1 tablespoon of flour (as a thickening agent, although if you can't have wheat or gluten, you can use whatever alternative works best for you)
1 egg
tabasco (I used the Chipotle one so that I could have that smoky flavour... so yum... and this you need to add to your own spice specifications)
a dash of oregano and a dash of basil and a dash of fresh garlic
cooked pasta for 2

I started by sauteing the bacon in the butter until the butter was brown and the bacon got crispy.

I also sauteed the herbs and tobasco in at this point.

Then I added the milk and flour that were already combined with each other. Now you have to stir constantly.

In went the egg, still stirring...

Now in goes the cooked pasta, still stirring...


Plate it up and EAT!! YUMMMMMY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment