Saturday, January 30, 2010

Roast Pork Loin





So in an attempt to keep the low calorie, healthy eating interesting, I decided to cook a pork loin. I bought a pre-marinaded one on sale, froze it until I was ready to cook it and then thawed it out. The package (and my little calorie wonder book) tell me that 1 serving is about 140 calories and that the pork loin serves an average of 7 servings. I was able to get 8 good portions out of it so that makes it great for families who need something affordable and easy. And one of the hosts on the Food Network (Melissa D'Arabian) says that pork loin is one of the cuts of meat that most often goes on sale. I don't know if it is true or not, but the next time you see one... buy it. I then chopped up a single serving of celery and carrots, an entire onion and 2 yukon gold potatoes. I also tossed in some green beans and a chopped up apple. I spread the veggies over the meat (that was resting nicely in a pyrex baking dish) and then covered them with tin foil and threw the entire thing in the oven at 375 for about an hour (or until the pork's temperature was 170 - which is what my meat thermometer said it should be). After removing it from the oven, I put the pork on the cutting board for a little bit to let it "rest" and then carved it up... so juicy, so tasty (I got the garlic/herb marinaded one)and with just a cup of the veggies it was only about 250 calories for a hearty and healthy meal! I love this new adventure of cooking and eating healthy (don't get me wrong... I still enjoy a good, old fashioned fattening meal from time to time too!!).
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment