Friday, July 9, 2010

Mmmm... RIBS!!!

Tonight I did a little chemistry in the kitchen and made my own dry rub and BBQ sauce for the ribs my mother trusted me to cook for my whole family. It was a little nerve wracking because I've never done a dry rub, a BBQ sauce or ribs on the BBQ before.

Okay... so here is how it went down:


First I made a dry rub with the following (Mary, I didn't use exact measurements but I will try my best to give approximations for you):

  • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 1tsp Moroccan spice (or use cayenne, or skip it all together)
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 2 tbsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp basil
After I combined these ingredients (taste as you go and adjust as you like) I rubbed it into the meat and let it sit in the fridge covered for 3 or 4 hours).


Then I put the rubs on the grill (set to low) and let them get heated up. Then I slipped inside and whipped up a BBQ sauce (again, all measurements are approximate and I encourage you to taste as you go along to make sure it is to your liking):

  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/3 cup brown or whole seed mustard
  • a couple drops of hotsauce/tabasco
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
The sauce is a little sweet, with a little heat. YUMMY! I basted the ribs, turned them, basted them and kept doing that until they were done. Took about 45-50 minutes on low on the grill, but they were tender as could be with a little caramelized, crispy edges.


I made Krispy Kale (see an earlier post) and some carrot/celery sticks to eat with it. It was DELISH!!
HAPPY EATING!!!


1 comment:

  1. We've just started experimenting with dry rubs and love them - I'll have to try this one too

    ReplyDelete