Friday, September 10, 2010

Finally.... A MEAL!!

It's been a while since I posted anything on here. I haven't really cooked in a long time. The last couple of weeks before leaving Canada, I didn't cook because we went out or my mom cooked or even my dad did the cooking. Then the first couple of weeks here, they were providing dinners etc. And then there is the bread... people, you don't know... Turkey has some of the best breads in the WORLD and it's CHEAP here... I could live off of bread alone, but my rear end wouldn't appreciate it so I've had to cook.

Today I made a really simple casserole type dish. Check it out:


These were some of the ingredients: Diced tomatoes, onions, boneless/skinless chicken thighs (just two), fresh dill, mushrooms, dates (a little sweet in the spicy and savoury), fresh garlic, and other spices that you like. I used a special Turkish olive marinade spice called Zaytin and it was great... salty, spicy and with oregano etc.


The garlic cloves here are so small. But the flavour, like everything else in Turkey, is super powerful.


I also used some aborio rice/pasta stuff. I think I put in about 1 1/2 cups of it with the other ingredients and a full can (the tomato one) of water. OH!! I almost forgot to tell you that I used a little olive oil with my spices on my chicken before tossing all the other ingredients in.



Before it went to the oven... looking like a soupy mess. But I threw it in at about 375 (my stove is in metric and it was nearer to 200 or 225 on my stove) for about 40 minutes and:


VOILA!! It was quite thick but SUPER tasty!!

So there you go, a simple casserole that is both spicy and savoury with little sweet surprises. I am very pleased with this recipe and it tastes very Mediterranean to me... so HAPPY EATING!


3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are up and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea... it's taken a while to get my kitchen bearings but I think I've got them. Also expensive because I had to re-set my whole kitchen. All I got here was 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 glasses, 2 cups, 2 spoons, 2 butter knives, 2 forks, 1 pot and 1 pan. So I've been trying to add things to actually cook with and then there was the trauma of figuring out the oven situation... and the buying of food etc. Taken a little time, but I feel like I am set to get cooking again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, a fellow foodie blogger has been posting Greek and Turkish recipes lately and I thought of you.
    http://culinaryflavors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete