Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Grilled Salmon and Eggplant Stacks

I start with a boneless fillet of salmon. I think mine is wild salmon but whatever you like will work just fine. I lightly salt and pepper the salmon first and because I love the way it work with fish, I throw on some dill.

Next I pour a little balsamic vinegar over the salmon and let that marinade while I work on preparing the eggplant for the stacks.

I cut one large eggplant into 3/4 inch thick slabs. Each was brushed with olive oil and then places on my Foreman Grill and cooked for about 7-8 minutes (or until they were soft when poked with a fork).

While the eggplant was grilling and the salmon was marinading, I cut up the tomatoes I needed and some fresh mozzarella. I lightly salted and peppered the tomatoes.

The grilled eggplant is ready (and looking pretty amazing I might add). I took it off and put it on a cookie tray lined with foil in preparation for stacking with the tomatoes and cheese. While I was doing that, I put the salmon on the grill to cook. This is a really quick meal by the way and very healthy.

So that is what the stacks look like before they go in the oven under the broiler. First goes the eggplant, then tomato, cheese and a little feta cheese. I used two eggplant slices, two tomatoes, two mozzarella slices and about 1/8 of a cup of feta cheese per stack. Then I lightly sprinkled some oregano over the top of each stack and put it under the broiler.

Here is what the salmon looks like when it's done. You do have to watch it because the sugars in the balsamic vinegar caramelize and it can stick to the grill if you aren't careful which is why I like to do this on an indoor grill like a Foreman. If I were to do this on an outdoor grill or BBQ, I might put down foil in the grill first or really make sure to clean and oil the grill before putting the fish on it and keep the grill on a low temperature.


And there it is... finished!! I am telling you that it was filling and fulfilling!! Super yummy and super easy. If you are looking for an actual recipe for the eggplant stacks, I took my inspiration from Cook Yourself Thin (a show and cookbook).

2 comments: