Sunday, September 20, 2009

Halibut

I know, I know... I really need to get back to taking pictures of this stuff!! :) I will, I promise but I had forgotten to take my camera out for this one but wanted to share it with you all.
On Fridays, my roommate and I like to try to have fish. It was a tradition in her home and I think it's nice, so I want to honour that with her.
I went to Fresh Market (a WONDERFUL) grocery store here in Williamsburg (and all over the USA) to see what they had and they have a great, old-fashioned butcher's counter. I saw lovely, thick pieces of halibut and began to build the dinner menu in my mind as I wandered around the store. I bought whole wheat gnocchi, a lovely pesto, some rosemary/sea salt bread and a little over 1/2 a pound of the fresh, thick halibut. Now, the other stuff, I am sure you can figure out what I did... no real surprises there... but the halibut. Usually, I like to put my fish in a foil pocket with some butter, lemon, dill, salt and pepper, close it up and toss it in the oven for a while. But this time, I decided to throw it on the George Foreman grill. I'd never done that before and was a little worried about it being overcooked, or undercooked, or just plain gross. But the halibut had the skin on (gross to eat, but great for grilling)so that was lucky. I heated up the grill, nice and hot and then put the fish down, skin side first. I wish you could have heard the sizzle... I love that sound. Then I lightly sprayed the top of the fish with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and lightly salted, peppered and dilled it. Closed the lid and voila! After about 10 minutes, I checked on it, the grill marks were lovely. The oil on the top helped the fish to carmelize and it had this little crispy top. I don't eat the skin, but it peeled right off in one piece of crunchy, cripy-ness. And the fish was moist, done to perfection and just wonderful. So give it a try!!! Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really yummy - we don't have a George Forman though, we did have one but got rid of it as yet another thing taking up space in the kitchen...it's only when I hear recipes like this that I wish we hadn't

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris... get a little one. I have the smallest one and I love it. It is just such a quick way to grill indoors and it's so easy to clean up after. I understand the need for space in the kitchen... I already need more space!!

    ReplyDelete